Volunteer Dive Recruiting Day is Saturday, September 23rd!
This session provides an overview of the dive program, a tour of the Passages of the Deep and diver and aquarist working areas, and information about the certifications/skills necessary to become a volunteer diver.
Contact email@example.com to get your name on this list!
Next interpreter volunteer training class begins October 2017.
At the Oregon Coast Aquarium, visitors find more than a fascinating variety of marine animals. They find volunteers who greet them, and share their knowledge of the Aquarium’s collection of marine life. They may also spot volunteers planting native shrubs, painting a wall or cleaning exhibit windows. And behind the scenes are found more volunteers, diving to clean and maintain our exhibits, helping children in the classroom or preparing food for the animals, all working to carry out the mission of the Aquarium, “to create unique and engaging experiences that connect you to the Oregon coast and inspire ocean conservation.”
Email Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a spot today!
Benefits of Volunteering
Join the nearly 400 volunteers that share your passion for marine science. Become a volunteer at the Oregon Coast Aquarium and receive opportunities for educational enrichment and social interaction. You’ll receive special benefits as a volunteer including:
- Training classes on marine animals and the natural history of the Oregon coast.
- Social opportunities with your volunteer colleagues.
- Recognition for your own individual service and contribution to the Aquarium.
- Discounts in our gift shops and cafe.
- Lectures and continuing education opportunities by Aquarium staff and guest speakers.
- Free passes to the Aquarium for you and your immediate family.
- Membership to the Aquarium after you have completed 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Reciprocal visits with institutional partners.
All volunteers are not alike, neither are our volunteer jobs.
- Interpreters work directly with the public at exhibits and displays, answering questions, giving demonstrations and assisting visitors.
- Animal care assistants help our animal husbandry staff with food preparation, observation and record keeping and exhibit upkeep.
- Divers help to keep our exhibits clean and our animals healthy by cleaning and maintaining the tanks from the inside out.
- Concierge provide arriving visitors with information about the facility, local attractions and accommodations.
- Classroom assistants work with Aquarium educators to set up programs, prepare materials and interact with children in a classroom setting.
- Maintenance volunteers work throughout the facility as groundskeepers, custodial aides and shop assistants.
- The Summer Youth Program connects teenagers to marine ecosystems and provides opportunities to learn about marine science and careers.
- The student driven school year youth volunteer program gives teens an opportunity to work in teams on a project that will make a difference in their community.
“The Aquarium makes a significant commitment to its volunteers through the first-class training program and supportive staff, in both education and animal arenas. This commitment makes it a joy to volunteer and to share my experiences with the visitors at this highly rated facility.”
Julie Shafer, volunteer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can volunteer?
Adult volunteers: 18 years or older.
Teen volunteers: 14-17 years old.
How often do I volunteer?
A volunteer’s schedule is dependent upon their position and duties. For example, interpreters volunteer for one four-hour shift once a week, whereas animal husbandry positions may be more frequent.
What experience do I need?
Experience is dependent upon the volunteer position. Many volunteer positions require no previous experience and training will be provided.
What if I have special needs?
Most special needs are not a barrier to volunteering.
What if I have questions?
You can call 541-867-3474, or send an email to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!
How do I get started?
To apply, click on the appropriate link below to access a blank volunteer application. Complete the form and then return it to us to start your new adventure in marine conservation!