Aquarium Presents Jellyfish Jubilee Celebration of Food and Wine
July 08, 2008
More of the region’s top restaurants join the Jellyfish Jubilee lineup
Excitement is building as more of the area’s top restaurants join the lineup for the Aquarium’s first-ever fund raiser, the inaugural Jellyfish Jubilee; A Celebration of Food and Wine. The event, benefitting the Aquarium’s exhibits and education programs, is slated to become an annual affair, offering an evening of Northwest cuisine and wines as well as a silent auction and live music at the Aquarium on September 27, 2008 from 6 to 10 pm.
“This is shaping up to be an extraordinary evening as the Aquarium comes alive with the aromas, tastes and sounds of exceptional food, wines and music,” said Dave Shafer, board member and Jellyfish Jubilee Committee chair. “We’re excited to see top chefs and vintners eager to join the fold.” Shafer said the Aquarium has always hosted fundraisers for many other non-profits and community organizations and decided to duplicate those successes to benefit its own programs, which rely upon admission revenues, grants and donations.
Participating restaurants include The Bay House, Quimby’s, Saffron Salmon, Bridges at The Embarcadero, Willamette Valley Country Club, Starfish Grill, Chinook Winds, Local Ocean Seafood and Tsunami Chocolate. Wineries include Noble Estate Winery, Emerson Vineyards, Julianna Vineyards, Sienna Ridge Estate, Henry Estate, Ferarri-Carano Winery and Vitis Ridge Winery. Rogue will be the featured beer.
“We have some exciting items up for bid in the silent auction,” said Shafer. Silent auction packages include:
- Golf Package: Bandon Dunes, eight rounds of golf and 1 night for four at Lily Pond Lodging.
- Ocean Pulse Surfing Package: Equipment, Ocean Pulse, Lessons, Lodging at Tyee Lodge and $50 gift certificate from Local Ocean Seafoods.
- Timberline Ski Package: Four ski lift passes, midweek overnight at lodge & breakfast buffet and $100 gift certificate for Cascade Room dinner.
- Portland Culture Package: Oregon Ballet Theater tickets, Portland Art Museum tickets, Aequis Spa $100 gift certificate and lodging at the Heathman Hotel.
- Coast Culture Package: two Newport Performing Arts Center tickets, photo workshop for two with Jeff Jessing, lodging at the Whale Cove Inn and $75 gift certificate for prix-fixe dinner at 44 Degrees.
- Marine Adventure Package: Marine Discovery Tours boat tour, fossil hunting with Guy DiTorrice and a $75 gift certificate from Saffron Salmon.
- Fishing Package: Newport Marina Store & Charter, lodging at Newport Belle Bed & Breakfast and a $15 gift certificate from Mo’s.
Other items: A private dinner party for 8 with Portland Chef, Bronwen Jones. As both an Executive Chef and Professional Personal Chef, Bronwen will prepare, present and serve a custom-seasonal menu in the comforts of your home, and a Sokol Blosser case of Meditrina private winery tour & tasting for 8.
Music will be provided by Highstrung!, a chamber string quartet based in Portland and Waterfall, an acoustic guitar duo featuring Louie Hubbard and Casey Applen from Salem. Special thanks to the talented youths of Highstrung! String Quartet and Ensembles. Highstrung! consists of siblings Eric, Justin, David and Joshua Knopp, a dynamic group of young artists that have played hundreds of events. Highstrung! will perform chamber music in the lobby as guests enter the Jellyfish Jubilee. More information about Highstrung! can be found at www.highstrungstrings.com.
An exclusive pre-event begins at 6 and continues until 7 when the doors open for the main event. The pre-event will be limited to 200 people, offering first access to the culinary creations, special private wine tastings, animal encounters and a dive presentation in the Aquarium exhibits. The main event will be from 7 to 10 pm and is limited to 300 people.
Ticket prices are $125 per individual or $215 per couple for pre-event and main event; $90 per individual or $160 per couple for main event only. Members receive a 20% discount. Non members who become members may purchase tickets and receive the discount. Evening attire is recommended. To purchase tickets, call 541-867-3474 Ext 5203. For information about special catered packages and corporate sponsorships, call (541) 867-3474 ext. 5216.
Jellyfish Jubilee sponsors include West Coast Bank, Leopold Ketel & Partners, Oregon Coast Bank and Wildlife Trading Company of New Mexico.