Come To The Jellyfish Jubilee!
September 19, 2008
The Aquarium is ready for its first fundraiser September 27
The Oregon Coast Aquarium will be decked out in all its finery for the Jellyfish Jubilee: A Celebration of Food and Wine September 27. The event, benefitting the Aquarium’s exhibits and education programs, will be an annual affair, offering an evening of Northwest cuisine and wines as well as a silent auction and live music at the Aquarium.
Guests will arrive and step onto a red carpet that will lead them to the Aquarium lobby, lit and decorated for an elegant evening celebrating the bounty of Northwest food, vineyards, and talented young musicians playing chamber music. A silent auction will feature packages that highlight Northwest activities and excursions. Guests can stroll through the world class Aquarium exhibits or visit the theater to see a slide show about the exhibits and education programs that will benefit from the event.
“Northwest food and wine will be in the spotlight,” said Dave Shafer, board member and Jellyfish Jubilee Committee chair. “This will be an extraordinary evening with the aromas, tastes and sounds of exceptional food, wines and music filling the Aquarium,” We were pleased to see top chefs and vintners eager to join the fold.” Shafer said the Aquarium has always hosted fundraisers for many other non-profits and community organizations and decided it was time to duplicate those successes to benefit its own programs, which rely upon admission revenues, grants and donations.
Participating restaurants include The Bay House, Quimby’s, Saffron Salmon, Willamette Valley Country Club, Chef’s Place, Georgie’s Beachside Grill, Starfish Grill, Chinook Winds’ Rogue River Steakhouse, Local Ocean Seafood and Tsunami Chocolate. Wineries include Noble Estate Vineyard, Emerson Vineyards, Julianna Vineyards, Sienna Ridge Estate, Henry Estate Winery, Ferarri-Carano Winery and Vitis Ridge Winery. Rogue will be the featured beer.
Silent auction packages include:
- Golf Package: Bandon Dunes, eight rounds of golf and 1 night for four at Lily Pond Lodging.
- Ocean Pulse Surfing Package: Equipment, Ocean Pulse, Lessons, Lodging at Tyee Lodge and $50 gift certificate from Local Ocean Seafoods.
- Timberline Ski Package: Four ski lift passes, midweek overnight at lodge & breakfast buffet and $100 gift certificate for Cascade Room dinner.
- Portland Culture Package: Oregon Ballet Theater tickets, Portland Art Museum tickets, Aequis Spa $100 gift certificate and lodging at the Heathman Hotel.
- Coast Culture Package: 2 Newport Performing Arts Center tickets, photo workshop for two with Jeff Jessing, lodging at the Whale Cove Inn and $75 gift certificate for prix-fixe dinner 44 Degrees.
- Marine Adventure Package: Marine Discovery Tours Sea Life Cruise, waterfront lodging at Anchor Pier Lodge on Newport't Bayfront, fossil hunting with “The Fossil Guy,” Guy DiTorrice and a $75 gift certificate from Saffron Salmon.
- Fishing Package: Newport Marina Store & Charter, lodging at Newport Belle Bed & Breakfast and a $15 gift certificate from Mo’s.
Other items: A private dinner party for 8 with Portland chef Bronwen Jones. As both an executive chef and professional personal chef, Bronwen will prepare, present and serve a custom-seasonal menu in the comforts of your home. Also up for grabs is a Sokol Blosser case of Meditrina, and a private winery tour & tasting for 8.
Music will be provided by Highstrung!, a chamber string quartet based in Portland and Waterfall, an acoustic guitar duo from Salem. Highstrung! consists of siblings Eric, Justin, David and Joshua Knopp, a dynamic group of young artists that have played hundreds of events. Highstrung! will perform chamber music in the lobby as guests enter the Jellyfish Jubilee. Waterfall consists of Louie Hubbard and Casey Applen, both accomplished guitarists. Waterfall will perform acoustic celtic instumentals in the lobby of the Passages of the Deep exhibit.
The exclusive pre-event beginning at 6 pm is sold out, but tickets are available for the main event, which is limited to 300 people, from 7 to 9 pm.
Ticket prices are $90 per individual or $160 per couple. Members receive a 20% discount. Non-members who become members may purchase tickets and receive the discount. Evening attire is recommended. To purchase tickets, call 541-867-3474 Ext 5203. For information about special catered packages and corporate sponsorships, call (541) 867-3474 ext. 5216.
Jellyfish Jubilee sponsors include West Coast Bank, Leopold Ketel & Partners, Oregon Coast Bank and Wildlife Trading Company of New Mexico.