World Oceans Day 2014
The Oregon Coast Aquarium will celebrate World Oceans Day Saturday,
June 7, 2014, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with activities and information
about ocean conservation.
The 2014 Theme, “Together we have
the power to protect the ocean!”, focuses on getting involved with ocean
conservation in our personal lives, with our communities, and globally.
On World Oceans Day, people around the planet celebrate and
honor the body of water that links all of us, for its beauty and bounty.
The Ocean Project and The World Ocean Network have promoted and
coordinated the growing global celebration since 2002.
Shark Riddle with Sisbro: 2:00 and 4:30 p.m.
Do you like sharks, sea lions, riddles and music? Join the sister/brother wildlife filmmaking team of Laura and Robert Sams for a hilarious and shark-filled program. They'll share scenes from their award-winning children’s film The Shark Riddle, along with shark music (including the popular Great White Shark Song), a shark game show, and a shark tooth game! Hear how Rob was able to sneak up on sea lions to film them for the movie! Then stick around and take your picture with one of the stars of the film, a life-sized (23 feet long inflatable) basking shark. The movie was named Best Children’s Program of the Year, Worldwide, at the Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival, the International Wildlife Film Festival and the BLUE Ocean Film Festival.
Killer Whale Tales with Jeff Hogan: 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
We are excited to announce that Jeff Hogan of Killer Whale Tales will be joining us for World Oceans Day 2014! Jeff will be presenting his family-friendly program on killer whales several times throughout the event in the Aquarium’s theater. Jeff founded Killer Whale Tales in 2000 with the goal of getting children excited and involved in the conservation of the regions endangered killer whales. Combining his interests of teaching, photography, science, psychology and theatre, Jeff created a program that brings the "field trip to the classroom" in which the students came to experience the world as the orcas around them do. Jeff brings over twenty-eight years of K-12 teaching experience and fourteen years of orca field research to his presentations. We know you will enjoy it! Follow Killer Whale Tales on Facebook
- Make an Ocean Promise/Selfies for the Sea: Guests will be invited to show how they are helping the ocean with the social media campaign Selfies for the Sea! This World Oceans Day, people can give back to the ocean by promising to do at least one thing to keep it healthy, or sharing what they are doing to help right now. Guests to the Aquarium can promote a healthier society and planet by creating a healthier ocean, picking a promise and posting a selfie with their promise. In this way, they will share their love for the ocean and its life and inspire others to help do their part for our ocean.
- Marine Debris Coral Sculpture: Get into the spirit of World Ocean Day while discovering how you can make a difference. Guests will be invited to create and add their own “coral branch” to our marine debris coral reef.
- Dive Presentations: Watch and speak live to our volunteer SCUBA divers as they swim among sharks and rays in this exhibit. The divers will share their experiences and insights about the animals and give you a glimpse into what it takes to maintain a world-class aquarium! Passages of the Deep Dive at 12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m. Oregon Kelp Forest Dive at 1:30 p.m.
- Something’s Fishy: Join us for a (fishy!) peek inside some amazing sea creatures during two dissection presentations with Chris Spaulding, Director of the OCCC Aquarium Science Program. 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. in the Passages of the Deep entrance courtyard.
- NOAA’s Northwest Fisheries Science Center:
- American Cetacean Society
- OCCC- Aquarium Science Program- Sea Fans Club
- Audubon Society of Portland
- Yaquina Watershed Council
- Oregon Salmon and Albacore Commission
- Oregon Sea Grant Extension
- Surfrider Newport Chapter
- Oregon Parks & Recreation Departement
- US Coast Guard Auxiliary